August 8 – 12, 2012 Joyful Journey Hot Springs, CO
This five-day intensive includes 30 hours of classes and personal dance instruction steeped in Indian aesthetics, music and gesture. This workshop will focus on fusing the archetype of timeless Indian femininity with fluid and powerful bellydance movement.
Colleena Shakti is an internationally-known performing artist and an exceptionally gifted dancer and teacher. Drawing from her in-depth study of Indian classical, folk and tribal dance forms, more than a decade of residence in India, her background in bellydance, and the rigor of her dedicated practice as a dancer, Colleena will offer a rich curriculum including:
- Theoretical foundation of Indian mood and expression
- Posture lab and understanding body lines
- Conditioning and training drills for Indian fusion
- Building common vocabulary of Indian fusion movement
- Mudras, gaze and embellishments
- Introduction to Rajasthani dance and Khalbelia gypsy dance
- Introduction to Odissi and Kathak classical temple dance
- Innovative spins and traveling steps
- Choreographic phrases
- Rhythm and music sense
- Breath awareness in dance
- Principles of ethical fusion
- Writing assignments and self-assessment
Private dance instruction with Colleena will be available.
Colleena Shakti has requested that all participants fill out a dance student questionnaire. You will receive this in your Registration Order Confirmation e-mail after submitting payment. Please complete and return the questionnaire to email@example.com. Your enrollment in the Indian Fusion Intensive will not be final until it is received. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org you have trouble viewing this questionnaire.